gnome-zeitgeist-users team mailing list archive

Tracking shell activity and time

Hi list,

I've installed zeitgeist a while ago from Debian apt and today run docky and
journal. It looks very nice! (Hope I can keep the compositing on considering my
hardware. In any case, is there a non-compositing docky?

But what prompted me was working in the terminal as I most usually do and jumping
from one related project to another, work and private, all sort of mixed up but
with certain time-windows.

I wondered if:

- it can track time spend on files/paths/programs.
- Classify use of a certain file/path/program as belonging to some project.

E.g. I noticed the journal did not display any path I worked on from bash which
did not suprise me much. But would such not be possible by examining e.g. the
user bash history? Tracking windows is also an idea but I'd like to think about
CLI editor/ssh invocations too.

A related e-mail was posted here about two months ago which outlined some of the
same. There came some off-list dicussion out of that, saying there is some
prototype code for this, and basicly that tracking domains/paths might be
usefull.

So I had hoped here at the list there might be a few developers having the
same ideas/problems.

regards, Berend

--
 :e: berend@xxxxxxxxxx