gnusim8085-devel team mailing list archive

Re: Call for testing of new installers

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> Yesterday I have added the functionality of embedding GTK+ runtime
> installer within our own installer. This is derived from the installer
> script of GSmartControl found at [1].
>
> With the new changes we can create two installer for windows. One with
> GTK+ runtime included and the other without. This is a call for
> testing for both these installers. They are available at [2].
> What needs to be tested:
> 1. Make sure both installers use our new icon. This is actually a
> regression fix from previous release.

They do

> 2. The -no-gtk-installer.exe should check for existing installation of
> GTK+ runtime via registry keys and warn user if a version >= 2.12.0 is
> not available. It should offer user to abort the installation of our
> app or continue anyway.

w/o GTK,
Cancel aborts
OK continues installation, but of course cannot start gnusim8085 post
installation.

with GTK > 2.12 (2.18),
installer does not prompt user for ok or cancel (as expected) and
installation is successful

> 3. The -installer.exe should show both our app as well as GTK+ runtime
> on a component page. Both are by default selected.

True

>User can only check/uncheck runtime component. If (s)he unchecks the runtime
> component a check for existing runtime installation will be made. It
> should offer user to change the selection (not abort installation) or
> continue anyway.

Does that.

> 4. At the end of -installer.exe our app launched properly. I faced a
> problem with wine in this case. Not sure of native Windows
> installation will have the issue.

It does, at least on mine (Windows Vista, Had no GTK installed.) Tried
installing using the -installer.exe. Installation seemed OK, but the
program crashed, as soon as it was started.

But, :), up on trying to run gnusim8085 again (from the installation
directory), it worked fine and gnusim was up!

Another time, when I tried the whole thing again, it result in a
similar thing, but up on trying again, I got the following message:
"This application has failed to start because libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
This was transient, I guess. Never saw this again.

Further checking the issue, I saw that:
- Up on finishing installation of the gtk+ and when the user is shown
the last dialog (where Run gnusim8085 is checked, the PATH variable is
not set, yet to include the lib path (in my case, C:\Program
Files\GTK2-Runtime\lib) and hence gnusim8085 could not start.
- Once the installer exits and we try to start gnusim8085 (eg, from
the installation directory), it runs fine, and the PATH variable
contains the lib path
-This was confirmed when I manually updated the PATH before finishing
installation (last step where Run gnusim8085 is checked) and finished
installation, there was no problem in launching our app from the
installer itself.

Possible fix: Do not give an option of starting the gnusim8085 from
within the installer.
Not sure if we could get the PATH updated before the app launch, else
that is another option.

> 5. Anything else that you think of as a valid test case.
>
> Planned changes:
> 1. An additional check for existing GTK+ installation will be added to
> -installer.exe. Depending on the result of this check the checkbox on
> components page will be modified.
> 2. Make sure that GTK+ runtime installer installs translations by default.
> 3. Modify license displayed appropriately when GTK+ runtime is embedded.
>
> Please provide your testing feedback in same thread. Please do not file bugs.
>
> [1] http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/gsmartcontrol.nsi
> [2] http://people.ubuntu.com/~onkarshinde/

/Bharath