gnusim8085-devel team mailing list archive

Re: Call for testing of new installers

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Bharath Suri <bharath.s.jois@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
>> 4. At the end of -installer.exe our app launched properly. I faced a
>> problem with wine in this case. Not sure of native Windows
>> installation will have the issue.
>
> It does, at least on mine (Windows Vista, Had no GTK installed.) Tried
> installing using the -installer.exe. Installation seemed OK, but the
> program crashed, as soon as it was started.
>
> But, :), up on trying to run gnusim8085 again (from the installation
> directory), it worked fine and gnusim was up!
>
> Another time, when I tried the whole thing again, it result in a
> similar thing, but up on trying again, I got the following message:
> "This application has failed to start because libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll
> was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
> This was transient, I guess. Never saw this again.
>
> Further checking the issue, I saw that:
> - Up on finishing installation of the gtk+ and when the user is shown
> the last dialog (where Run gnusim8085 is checked, the PATH variable is
> not set, yet to include the lib path (in my case, C:\Program
> Files\GTK2-Runtime\lib) and hence gnusim8085 could not start.
> - Once the installer exits and we try to start gnusim8085 (eg, from
> the installation directory), it runs fine, and the PATH variable
> contains the lib path
> -This was confirmed when I manually updated the PATH before finishing
> installation (last step where Run gnusim8085 is checked) and finished
> installation, there was no problem in launching our app from the
> installer itself.
>
> Possible fix: Do not give an option of starting the gnusim8085 from
> within the installer.
> Not sure if we could get the PATH updated before the app launch, else
> that is another option.
<snip>

Thanks for testing. :-)

I had root caused of the issue regarding launching the app at the end
installation. I am doing testing using wine. So I was just hoping that
this was some sort of wine issue and not a problem on native
installation.

The PATH variable is updated by GTK+ installer. But it looks like when
our installer launches the application at the end the PATH passed is
the one before start of installation. Hence it does not work
immediately but works when launching our application form start menu.
I need to find a way to re-read PATH before launching application.

Onkar