graphics-drivers-testers team mailing list archive

Test results link on OpenBenchmarking.org

I recently updated my NVIDIA driver on my Ubuntu Linux 18.04.1 desktop to get a performance gain using your suggested ppa:graphics-driver/ppa. I now have the latest beta version of the NVIDIA driver installed on my system: nvidia-396, updated from the very old distro version. I used all three methods listed in the following article:
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Some additional info:
GPU:  GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]

I also during the process downloaded and manually installed the latest official NVIDIA driver for my system:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.87.run

While that ran successfully on my system without too much tinkering I can't recommend that method for obvious reasons (it took me several tries due to incompatibilities with nouveau drivers, etc.) and I wound up re-enabling my GRUB menu and installing it from a root prompt in GRUB recovery mode...

I tried to run the suggested phoronix-test-suite listed in your graphics drivers PPA (THANKS for the suggestion) both before and after installing the correct driver. The before test suite failed for some reason - either because I had only a frame buffer (no nouveau or GPU driver), or because I was using the old version of the phoronix-test-suite installed by apt - most of the tests ran okay until I got to the xonotic test suite which hung. I wound up installing the latest version of the phoronix-test-suite directly from the developer site: https://www.phoronix-test-suite.com (I downloaded the Debian package from their site which installed succesfully.)

Test suite command line as suggested in your PPA:

# phoronix-test-suite default-benchmark openarena xonotic tesseract gputest unigine-valley

Link to the results for my system on OpenBenchmarking.org:

https://openbenchmarking.org/result/1810097-RA-GNLIMBOTE74

Sorry to be so verbose, but I hope that gives you some context for the report. I hope it is useful. Let me know if you have any additional questions - I joined the team and am currently subscribed to the list email.

Congratulations on having no Open Bugs by the way!

--George Nace <gnace@xxxxxxxx>