Adding a rabbitMQ listener type to carbon, packaging, and the next release

Hi Graphite developers!

I recently got re-interested in graphite, and it looks like a lot of
progress has been made since I looked at it last, great work! I tried to
join the graphite-dev mailing list, but it seems to be a moderated team
on launchpad.

Lucio and I are interested in using graphite with RabbitMQ. We want to
monitor data that is already flowing through RabbitMQ, and publish brand
new metrics into RabbitMQ to be automatically picked up by Graphite. It
seems that Dmitriy Samovskiy had a similar idea, and he published his
code here: http://github.com/somic/graphite-rabbitmq . That code looks
already outdated due to the rewrite of the carbon-cache agent in twisted.

If we make an optional AMQP listener that was part of carbon-cache.py,
would you be interested in merging it to trunk? I imagine you would not
want to force everyone using Graphite to install an AMQP
(https://launchpad.net/txamqp) library, so it would need to be optional
somehow.

Second, it seems that graphite could be packaged into three separate
parts: whisper, carbon, and the django webapp, and trunk already has
three setup.py files created. I filed a question about this earlier,
before I discovered that carbon had it's own setup.py also. What do you
think about splitting carbon, whisper, and the django app into three
separate branches, with three separate tarball releases? Or do you plan
to keep these in a single big branch? I think either way, independent
packages can be created (so that you could install the carbon package on
a machine without needing to install the django app), it's just easier
if the branches/tarballs are split.
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/