Re: [Question #160966]: How do I configure retention aggregation for carbon?

chrismd posted a new comment:
Since whisper's aggregation only averages I would recommend avoiding
using it for data that is not useful when averaged. As far as accuracy,
it is definitely accurate but it may be a different calculation than you
would prefer for a given dataset. For instance, if the metric in
question is requests per minute, then say it gets rolled down to a lower
precision archive of 5 minute precision, it would then be storing the
average number of requests per minute for each 5-minute interval, rather
than the total number of requests in that 5-minute interval. So it is
really a matter of which number you are interested in.

With ceres you can aggregate the data however you like, but
unfortunately the docs are not done yet. Slow progress is being made but
I've got a lot of things distracting me from Graphite at the moment. If
you want to try Ceres out I would be glad to help with specific issues,
I am usually on #graphite on freenode and of course these forums as
well.