Re: branch merges, docs, collaboration

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Chris Davis <chrismd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Right exactly, it turns out upon closer inspection that the vast majority of
> changes did make it to trunk, but there were a few tiny fixes I made locally
> after merging everything that I probably just forgot to commit. So trunk is
> broken right now but I will commit my fixes once I get home.
>
> Sidnei, maybe you can help me out with another bzr issue I ran into while
> merging katzj's connected-line-mode branch, see my comment
> at https://code.launchpad.net/~katzj/graphite/connected-line-mode/+merge/60624
> Have you seen this before? The upgrade process ran all day for me yesterday,
> hopefully its finished by the time I get home. Do you know if this will
> affect the launchpad-hosted repo in any way?

That's a tricky one. So the problem is that you can't really do a
merge from a 2a repository, but I believe the inverse is possible. As
a quick workaround, you could just grab the diff and apply it, instead
of doing a merge.

As a long-term thing, we should definitely upgrade the repo hosted on
Launchpad to 2a (there's even a button somewhere to do it through the
UI). IIRC the only issue with that is that people with existing
branches have to upgrade their local branches (and Launchpad-hosted
ones too) after you upgrade trunk. We should coordinate this with all
the people that have outstanding merges to make sure they don't lose
any work by accident, then set a date to do the repository upgrade.

Running an upgrade locally won't affect the launchpad-hosted repo.
You'd have to explicitly upgrade the remote repo. It's not possible to
upgrade locally and then push an upgraded copy, so running the upgrade
locally on your machine will not help, and you'll end up with
something that can't be pushed on top of the existing trunk in
Launchpad.

If you have more questions about this and other Bazaar-related things
(I saw there's a bug about splitting whisper and carbon into their own
repos) we can probably get someone from the Bazaar team on #graphite
to help.

--
Sidnei

Make the most of Ubuntu with Landscape