[Question #164470]: Problem installing carbon: "cannot import name MetricCache "

Hi,

I'm trying to install graphite on an Ubuntu 10.x box and am getting some strange errors. Besides issues configuring WSGI etc, I'm now running into:

./carbon-cache.py start
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./carbon-cache.py", line 118, in <module>
    from carbon.listeners import MetricLineReceiver, MetricPickleReceiver, CacheQueryHandler, startListener
  File "/opt/graphite/lib/carbon/listeners.py", line 5, in <module>
    from carbon.cache import MetricCache
  File "/opt/graphite/lib/carbon/cache.py", line 17, in <module>
    from carbon.instrumentation import increment
  File "/opt/graphite/lib/carbon/instrumentation.py", line 147, in <module>
    from carbon.cache import MetricCache
ImportError: cannot import name MetricCache

I'm not new to Linux or sysadmin but I *am* new to python -- I might be missing something but it appears that there's some sort of circular reference between carbon/instrumentation.py and carbon/cache.py.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,
dave