[Question #170444]: [OS X] MemoryErorr and Required Fonts?

First off, I've got to say that I'm loving Graphite. It's running on some production ubuntu servers and we've been pleased how easy it was to get started.

However, I noticed that there is a JSON API available in 0.9.9, so I checked out the code on my macbook and thought I'd fire it up and see how well it worked from the latest revision in bazaar. As far as I can tell, I'm running into the same issues as these other two questions:  https://answers.launchpad.net/graphite/+question/133390 and https://answers.launchpad.net/graphite/+question/133390

When I load up the graphite web app under django (via the run-graphite-devel script), I don't see any graphs - just broken images. If I get the source url for a graph and browse there directly (e.g.: http://localhost:8080/render?target=foo) then I get this nice backtrace:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/Django-1.3-py2.6.egg/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 111, in get_response
    response = callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/views.py", line 166, in renderView
    image = doImageRender(requestOptions['graphClass'], graphOptions)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/views.py", line 338, in doImageRender
    img = graphClass(**graphOptions)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/glyph.py", line 206, in __init__
    self.drawText("No Data", x, y, align='center')
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/glyph.py", line 266, in drawText
    extents = self.getExtents(text)
  File "/opt/graphite/webapp/graphite/render/glyph.py", line 238, in getExtents
    F = self.ctx.font_extents()
MemoryError

So this is likely related to some missing fonts? I confirmed that I do have all of the Vera fonts installed, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other bitmap fonts I was missing.