Re: [Question #176504]: aggregationMethod for lower precision retentions - store all (average, sum, min, max, last) instead of just one?

chrismd proposed the following answer:
I sympathize with your frustration, it is a common gotcha that we're
working on fixing. The problem is Graphite can not "accurately"
aggregate your datapoints unless you tell it what aggregation method to
use for which metrics, and historically there has not been a good way to
do that. There is a very active branch under development
(https://code.launchpad.net/~chrismd/+junk/graphite-megacarbon) that
addresses this issue among several others by refactoring the carbon
configuration model. In the new model we generalize storage-schemas.conf
to consist of rules that can apply arbitrary metadata to your metrics,
so in addition to specifying the retention configuration you will also
be able to specify the desired aggregation method using regexes, etc to
specify which metrics use which method. This branch is still in flux but
it is going to be in the next release (in fact the next release will
primarily consist of the work already done on this branch). There is
also a new API provided by the webapp in 0.9.9 that lets you get/set
metadata for metrics programmatically but that is more intended for one-
off changes rather than sweeping "handle all these metrics this way"
type of changes that the storage rules will provide.