[Question #183019]: DB Configuration confusion

I'm a little confused between the documentation and how the software is installed.  The documentation talks about schema files in /usr/local/graphite/storage/schema but I have no such directory as graphite has installed in /opt/graphite.  I do have a storage directory  but no schema files.

Earlier the installation talks about /opt/graphite/conf/storage-schemas.conf and it's not clear to me if THIS is the schema and you simply append stanzas to it OR if you create separate schema files.  Further, since the instructions tell you to generate some data before talking about schema files, the implication to me is graphite knows what to do with the data w/o the schema files.

As for the schema.conf file, since I want to send data every 10 seconds and retain it for a week, should it look like this:

[everything_10sec_1week]
priority = 100
pattern = .*
retentions = 10:60480

The reason I ask is when I tried sending data to graphite via collectl it happily created a bunch of files in  /opt/graphite/storage/whisper that are named for my metrics.

Finally, how does one verify the data is actually being stored somewhere?

-mark