[Question #240762]: Math / Tools Q : standard deviation on multiple values per interval?

I'm collecting a set of multiple values per time period. Each value represents the time it takes to do a particular process. Each time slice may have zero, one or many values, depending on how many processes occurred.

In Graphite, I am storing mean, median, Std Dev, Sum, etc of the individual set, and I can clearly do all sorts of interesting math on that.

I'm also interested in measuring the standard deviation of the total collection of individual points.  Is there a slick mathematical way to do that as a two-step process , and/or would you recommend using another tool ?
(and if another tool, it would be nice to be able to feed results back into graphite dashboard)