gtg almost on ubuntu cd

Believe it or not, at the Ubuntu desktop "default applications" session
at UDS, someone proposed adding gtg as one of the default apps to be
included on the Ubuntu CD for Meerkat.

There were 5 votes in favor and 2 votes against it, with the ultimate
decision by Rick Spencer to pass for Maverick but reconsider later.

I took notes on some of the issues that were raised or that if fixed
would help make gtg better positioned to be a default app on Ubuntu:

  * Name.  Rick was iffy on the name 'Getting things GNOME' and wondered
    if a different name would be more discoverable for new users

  * Integration with Tomboy turned on by default.  (This could be set
    particular to the Ubuntu packaging.)

  * Desktopcouch integration (again, could be particular to Ubuntu
    package if that'd be easier.)

  * Minimize install size.  The CD has a fixed number of bits that fit.
    So the smaller the gtg .deb can be made, the easier it is to sell to
    seb128.

  * Icon looks too similar to the clipboard icon.  Would be
    esp. confusing if the gtg indicator is enabled.

  * Ensure/demonstrate relevance of gtg for ordinary users.  *I* figure
    everyone needs a todo list management tool, but it did not sound
    "sexy" to David Siegel; perhaps there is something we could do to
    communicate the awesomeness of todo list management.

  * Popularity.  Ditto the above.  While not a hard requirement, size of
    existing userbase can be a determinant for default inclusion.

It wasn't mentioned, but I also think stabilization of 0.3 would be
pretty key as well; presently I think 0.2.x is too slow, and 0.3.x is
still a bit too buggy.  But there is a good 4-5 months before Maverick
ships so lots of time to solve that.

Anyway, so I was a bit disappointed not to see gtg decided for a default
app, but the good news is it's in the running, which was a pleasant
surprise, and the issues and feedback were for tangible issues, some of
which we could likely make some improvements so we're in a better spot
for Maverick+1.

Bryce

Follow ups