Re: gtg almost on ubuntu cd

Thanks for reporting that Bryce !

Le vendredi 14 mai 2010 à 08:48 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> Believe it or not, at the Ubuntu desktop "default applications" session
> at UDS, someone proposed adding gtg as one of the default apps to be
> included on the Ubuntu CD for Meerkat.
>
> There were 5 votes in favor and 2 votes against it, with the ultimate
> decision by Rick Spencer to pass for Maverick but reconsider later.
>
> I took notes on some of the issues that were raised or that if fixed
> would help make gtg better positioned to be a default app on Ubuntu:
>
>   * Name.  Rick was iffy on the name 'Getting things GNOME' and wondered
>     if a different name would be more discoverable for new users

I don't believe that the name has to be "discoverable". See Firefox,
Epiphany, Nautilus, Evolution.

The key is to label it well in the menu (thus the desktop file).

I agree that "Getting Things GNOME! tasks manager" is a bit long.

GTG personal tasks manager ?

>   * Integration with Tomboy turned on by default.  (This could be set
>     particular to the Ubuntu packaging.)

The Tomboy integration could also be better but I still don't really see
how.

>   * Desktopcouch integration (again, could be particular to Ubuntu
>     package if that'd be easier.)
>
>   * Minimize install size.  The CD has a fixed number of bits that fit.
>     So the smaller the gtg .deb can be made, the easier it is to sell to
>     seb128.

Currently 500ko. Do we really need to improve that ? I mean Tomboy
requires the full Mono stack only for itself (and F-Spot).

>   * Icon looks too similar to the clipboard icon.  Would be
>     esp. confusing if the gtg indicator is enabled.

Changing the icon is something we could consider for 0.3. We have to ask
Kalle Persson about that.

>   * Ensure/demonstrate relevance of gtg for ordinary users.  *I* figure
>     everyone needs a todo list management tool, but it did not sound
>     "sexy" to David Siegel; perhaps there is something we could do to
>     communicate the awesomeness of todo list management.

I don't  really understand how someone like David Siegel can live
without a todo list management tool, be it on paper ;-)

As we discussed at UDS, my own vision is to  make the computer "a tool
to do what should be done". The closer of this vision we will be, the
more people will understand the need.

On the other hand, it's not required that 100% of Ubuntu users use GTG.
Tomboy, F-Spot and others are part of the default install but are  far
from being useful to everyone. With the increasing number of webmail
users, even Evolution is useless in a majority of usecases.

>   * Popularity.  Ditto the above.  While not a hard requirement, size of
>     existing userbase can be a determinant for default inclusion.

That's a question often asked. Absolutely no idea.

Popularity of this bug https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/gtg/+bug/537885
seems to indicate that, yes, there are quite a few users ;-)

> It wasn't mentioned, but I also think stabilization of 0.3 would be
> pretty key as well; presently I think 0.2.x is too slow, and 0.3.x is
> still a bit too buggy.  But there is a good 4-5 months before Maverick
> ships so lots of time to solve that.

That's, I think, the same conclusion as we had at our session. Good to
see.

> Anyway, so I was a bit disappointed not to see gtg decided for a default
> app, but the good news is it's in the running, which was a pleasant
> surprise, and the issues and feedback were for tangible issues, some of
> which we could likely make some improvements so we're in a better spot
> for Maverick+1.

Thanks for sharing that Bryce :-)

Lionel