Re: Explanation on the concept of subtasks

Le 24/03/12 01:06, Bertrand Rousseau a écrit :
> Parsing your reply, I tried to identify "goals" that we could
> assign to GTG. I could identify those goals:
>
> - GTG should promote a useful definition of tasks, a.k.a. an
> action (verb) towards a goal, and - help people to refine those
> tasks down to actionable tasks (a.k.a. tasks that do not require
> the prior accomplishment of another task to be realized). - GTG
> should help people identify what task they can actually do to
> progress in their various projects. - GTG should help people to
> focus only on the relevant tasks given one's specific context
>
> Anti-goals (things GTG should not try to accomplish):
>
> - GTG should not actively fight against "abuse" (use of GTG that
> doesn't lead to efficient organization): GTG should not track down
> or actively try to prevent those behaviors.
>

> And what about those goals?
>
> - GTG should help people to keep control on everything they have to
> do.

I agree with all of the above. In the manifesto, I've summarized that
in 4 points:

GTG should :

1) Relieve you from everyday stress (every task for every goal is
managed by GTG. If GTG is empty, take a nap.)
2) Know what task you need to do now and here without missing
deadlines (narrow focus)
3) Know why you need to do tasks and ensure your are working toward
your goals (wide focus)
4) Encourage you to do what need to be done for important goals
(anti-procrastination)

I think that order is an order of importance.

First, GTG want to relieve you from stress by handling everything.
Second, GTG want to help you what to do now and not miss any deadline
Third, GTG want to ensure you are working towards your goals
Fourth, GTG want to encourage you to work and your goals and not
procrastinating.

The difference beween 3 and 4 is a bit subtle. 3 is about organization
and ensuring you don't loose yourself in useless tasks that are not
useful for your goals. 4 is to help you to accomplish the listed task.
For example, encouraging to use a verb in the title of the task is a
way to implement 4).

For 1), one very important point is that it should be braindead easy
to enter a new task, from multiple of source. Izidor did a Firefox
plugin to make a task from a webpage (Now, I think it could, by
default start the title of the task as "Read www.website.com" ). This
plugin should also work in Thunderbird. There should be a way to enter
tasks from your phone, etc.

One of the key point is: as soon as you think of something to do, it
is easier to enter it in GTG than to write it on a paper.

> I think it's a really important goal! In many ways, it's even the
> most important one. Note that I'm not sure still that it's
> correctly stated. It should maybe say something about relieving
> one's stress/improving one's life in regard to the many stuff
> he/she has to do. Because, well, many tools actually allow people
> to keep track on their duties, but not every tools is made to
> actually make one's live better (Lotus Notes, anyone?) This may
> sound cheesy, but in the end the difference it can make for someone
> is important.
>
> - GTG should educate people to organize themselves efficiently
>
> IMHO, it's an anti-goal. It's not GTG's work. That could be done
> through developers' blog posts or else, but it should not be done
> in GTG directly.

I agree. GTG should be a tool for people that know how to organize
themselves. There are plenty of books, plenty of methods.

If GTG can be used by organized people but some users manage to abuse
it and use it, for example, as a note keeper, that's not our problem.
People are not working toward their goal because they didn't take the
time to think about what their goal is ? That's not our problem. And
it is not the job of GTG to educate people about having objectives.

But it's GTG job to help people who have objectives and want to
achieve them.

> - GTG should help people gather information about their task
>
> IMHO it's also an anti-goal: it's not the goal of GTG to help
> people gather information about their project, but just help them
> to keep at hand the useful information that allows them to
> accomplish something.

I agree. GTG should help people to keep all the informations related
to a task in a central place. That's why, ultimately, we want to be
able to attach files or mails to a task.

This is related to 4), anti procrastination: if "Write the report"
implies first to gather all the documents, you are more likely to
procrastinate. If all the documents are there, in your task
description, nothing can stop you to write the report.