Re: GTG Redesign: Step 1

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Alex <alba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> You may have noticed, that i edited the GTG/Design Wiki Page and tried to
> get some structure in the design process. The first, and current, step would
> be 'Collect Information'. I think this is very important to build some
> design-goals, so all the redesign efforts are headed in the right direction.

Hi Alex,

Thanks a lot for taking this initiative, this will be very valuable!

I tried to answer your questions in the most sincere way, so that I
often discuss some aspect of GTG. However I would stress the fact
that, as I could understand, discussing specific aspects is *not* the
aim of this mail. The aim is to collect information, in order to
identify specific points on which we should work, and set priorities.
So let's not discuss the suggestions or ideas too much (or at least
not in this thread), since it would make it harder for us to keep
focus on the design process.

> So, i have some questions for you:
>
> 1. What do you think are the 'killer-features' of GTG? (Where are it's
> strenghts compared to other task managers? On which particular feature
> should we focus on the design process? etc.)

adaptivity: GTG doesn't impose much to the user when defining a new
task and organizing them. It's particularly exemplified by the task
editor which allows text-based task description/definition. As such,
most people can organize themselves the way they feel fit for them.
Using tags as a universal mean to categorize your tasks was also
designed for this reason. Most other task manager are more
restrictive, so you often feel contrived by the organization scheme
they impose.

I would also say "simplicity" (as opposed to Lotus Notes-like
complexity), but I must admit that:
1. most modern task managers target this "simplicity", so it's
actually a requirement, and
2. the growing number of GTG's features has brought some confusion
which, I suspect, has also rendered GTG not that simple anymore
compared to the first versions.

> 2. Where do you think, GTG extends? (Is there any point, on which GTG starts
> to annoy you, because of it's behaviour?)

Some annoyances:

1. no support for "projects" (a concept that is very similar to the
"goals" defined in our manifesto). I personally like to define goals
and to group tasks under them. It's a kind of task context that I like
to consider when scanning my tasks, and GTG has no support for it.
Sure, I can define a "projects" tag that would host my project, but it
feels hackish. I often wonder if "project" should not be considered as
a first-class citizen in GTG. We have discussed this aspect several
times in the past, but we never really reached a satisfying proposal
to implement projects, I think. In the meantime, it's been decided not
to support them.
2. lack of stability: this is improving, thanks the amazing work of
our developers and contributors (I particularly think about Izidor and
Lionel), but GTG still feels buggy. I wonder sometimes if we shouldn't
identify a very limited number of core features and thrives make them
rock-solid.
3. lack of performance: this is also improving a lot, but we're still
lacking behind. When you start using GTG heavily, and have many tasks,
GTG starts to feel very slow.

> 3. Do you think GTG does accomplish all it's  primary goals?
>
> Does GTG make sure you never forget anything and you never miss a deadline?

It sure can help to figure what task have deadlines, and identify
which deadline is the closest by sorting task the appropriate way.

However, since all tasks are displayed as a simple list, it requires
interpretation. I miss some kind of "radar view" that would give some
insight on questions like "how busy will my life be this week", "what
task should arrive to completion in the coming days?", etc. Much like
a month-view in a calendar can directly tell you if you're going to
have busy weeks or not.

> Does it help you to focus on the most relevant tasks depending on your time,
> place and deadlines?

Tags should do that, but I wonder if it's not a bit too flat. Having
an intermediate level for projects, places, specific times could maybe
help.

> Does GTG help you to know why you need to perform a task and does GTG give
> you the feeling, that you really make progress towards your goals?

Subtasks are made for that. The present hierarchical tree presentation
of a subtask do an ok job at linking a task to its related goal (=
parent task). However, as it has been pointed out, as GTG does not
impose a strict policy on subtask definition, it can lead to "abuse",
cf. [1].

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/gtg-contributors/msg00769.html

> Does GTG encourage you to do what needs to be done?

Context-specific views allows to focus on a subset of task, which
generally helps not to feel overwhelmed, and to reduce
procrastination.

Work view helps to focus on tasks that don't have any prior
requirements. It displays the list of what you can actually do *right
now*. IMHO, that increases focus, and helps to reduce procrastination.

There are other things we could do, like for instance stronger
integration into GTG for task/time tracking (already somewhat done
with the hamster plugin): a user could pick a task and tell GTG "I'm
doing this now". GTG could then switch in a specific task-tracking
mode. This would increase user dedication to the task (he/she declared
to do something), which could help to reduce procrastination in turn.

> 4. What are 'must-have' features for modern Taskmanagers?

current:

- Implement simple but powerful task management process ('inbox',
classification, selection, action)
- Cloud synchronization (tasks are accessible from anywhere, anytime).
- Context-aware focus: you focus only on what's relevant to you (more
signal, less noise).

upcoming:

- Context-aware reminder: e.g. your phone remind you to do something
when you're in a certain place.
- Collaboration support: your tasks are seamlessly integrated in your
(professional) social network

> Maybe we could also make a little survey, and ask some users, about GTG. I
> think, the guys at omgubuntu.co.uk would help us out to reach some
> (possible) users. If you like the idea, we should make a small list of
> questions, based on our own findings.

I agree, that's an excellent suggestion.