Re: Backgrounds color option, Help button & pylint

2012/4/22 Izidor Matušov <izidor.matusov@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I did today some cleaning of GTG code base and repaired small bugs. I moved
> View -> Background Colors into preferences dialog as "Show background colors
> of tasks". Suggestions for better wording are welcomed.

I would suggest something like "Enable colored backgrounds in the task list".

> I found out that we have "Help" button in the preference dialog. Does
> anybody know its purpose? (It does nothing now.) Do we want to keep it there
> and have a similar button for Plugins settings and Synchronization Services
> as well?

Well, if it's not doing anything, we should hide it. Maybe after
Radina's GOPW we'll have some materials to show, and then we can
re-enable it.

> Radina: Would you like to write a help page on wiki for those buttons? ;)
>
> Now, we don't enforce the proper style of codebase. Think about PEP8.py,
> PyFlakes, pylint. PEP8.py and PyFlakes are pretty benevolent and don't do
> deeper analysis of the code. Pylint goes deeper but it means it is really
> strict. At the moment, make lint checks for pep8.py and pyflakes. Do we want
> to use pylint as well?
>
> I suppose the first versions of GTG used pylint, because you can find many
> pylint-ignore comments in the code base. Some of the requirements of pylint
> are not achievable for us. For example, when you expand a GTK class, you
> inherit many public methods what violates recommended count of public
> methods.
>
> What do you think? Do we want to have deep analysis by pylint and many
> pylint-ignore comments in our codebase or don't use pylint at all?

linting use to be part of our development flow. I don't know if anyone
is still using it. It's been useful sometimes.

I'd say that if we care to keep this functionality, then we should do
it seriously, using pylint (otherwise, it doesn't bring many
benefits). We should also have to be very strict with oursleves, and
make sure to use it in our development flow (otherwise, it won't
deliver any benefit).