Re: WorkView: Start of the day

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Izidor Matušov <izidor.matusov@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > In Work View, show tasks starting:
> >
> > today only
> > today and tomorrow
> > today and in the next 7 days
> >
> > Hint: work days start at 6am
> >
> > Option 1 gives you the current implementation, option 2 gives you a peek
> of
> > tomorrow tasks, and option 3 gives you a peek of the week to come. That
> > allows someone to plan things since you get to see some tasks ahead. This
> > solution also avoid another issue with your solution, which is that the
> Work
> > View has a different use (focus/planning) depending on the time of the
> day,
> > and changes automatically from one to another without notice to the user
> or
> > explicit request. That can be quite confusing for people (who generally
> > already have a hard time getting what the WV is all about).
> >
> > If what you want is more control than that, then I suggest you implement
> > this as a plugin. (it's harsh, I know. I'm sorry but it's *really*
> important
> > to me that the core features and options of GTG stay clear and simple,
> ala
> > gedit)
>
> Yes, it is a bottom-up solution. I like your suggested solution but
> there are some rough edges:
>
>   * your proposed solution doesn't work for my use case. I figured out
> that I am likely to do something when I see only few tasks. If I can
> choose from 5 tasks (and 3 could not be done now at this place), I
> choose one and do it. If I have many tasks and there still only 2
> relevant tasks, I end up procrastinating. (choice paradox). I would
> like to see as less tasks as possible for the work day and in the
> evening do micro planning for tomorrow (choose a subset of available
> tasks so in the morning I start working on it without planning phase).
>
>   * firstly I liked your workview for next 7 days idea. After second
> thoughts, I am not sure about it. A week is a quite long time to plan
> and I personally switch to macro planning (Am I heading towards my
> goals? What should be done this week?) I usually need to see all tasks
> to do that (including parents), review tasks who are due "Sometimes"
> or have "hide in workview" tag (usually @future for me).
>
>   * if none of those options is useful at least for somebody, it is
> wasting our precious space in Preferences dialog :D
>
> I thing adding a nifty plugin API call would make plugin really easy.
> Fine grained options with exact numbers (My work day starts at 5:00, I
> would like to see tomorrow tasks since 20:00 day before) may be better
> to have as an plugin. BTW: I got up few times at 5am or earlier [1]
> and it was strange to not see my daily tasks in WorkView. GTG doesn't
> like early birds :D
>
> To sum up, your proposed solution looks good but probably not solve
> needs of me or others. We have to change it a little bit.

Ok, that makes sense. If it's allright for you, I'd suggest then that you
implement your desired feature as a plugin, it's the best way to fit
particular use cases and experiment with features.

I've taken good note of what you explained to me about the difficulty of
choosing which task to perform when there are too many tasks. That'll be
useful for the GTG redesign.

--
Bertrand Rousseau