gtg-gsoc team mailing list archive

Merging code

Hi all,

  Lionel earlier said that any GSoC work should be pushed to a branch,
proposed for a merge and looked at by one mentor or the other before
going into trunk.

  My personal belief is that smaller changes to code are easier to
review than larger ones, so I have been pushing my work piecemeal. For
example, the code layout changes are happening in at least three parts
(GTK move, gtcli → gtg, plugins, ???). This results in *more* merge
requests, but each one is (I hope) easier to check over.

  Until now this was just personal preference, but I see my work will
soon start to make more impactful changes to the storage system,
possibly running into conflicts with Luca. The "backends-first-merge"
branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~gtg-user/gtg/backends-first-merge/+merge/26532
...is now up to ~3600 lines and has been open for review for about three
weeks now.

So, to prompt some dicussion:
* Should I be proposing many smaller merges, or would you prefer to
review fewer, larger ones?
 * Should I help review Luca's code, to get it into trunk faster? This
would help me plan where to introduce my DBus stuff.
 * Can someone prompt Bryce to take a look at my code-layout-2 branch?
Pleeeease? :)

Cheers,
--
Paul Kishimoto
MASc candidate (2010), Flight Systems & Control Group

http://paul.kishimoto.name — +19053029315