Difference between dismiss and delete

Hello,

First of all, I want to thank you all for your enthusiasm for the 0.1
release and the tons of bug reports. It's really nice for us to feel
part of a community.

As there is now users for GTG (you), I can put them at work and ask them
a few questions ;-)

Some of you were concerned by the difference between "Dismiss" and
"Delete" which, I agree, is not intuitive at all. Bertrand and I don't
agree on how to handle that so maybe we can let the users speak.

The goal :

Since the begining, we wanted to have a "dismiss-like" button because,
very often, you don't do a task but the task is not relevant anymore or
has been done by someone else. It doesn't mean you want to remove the
task. You just want to mark it as "not to be done anymore". That's why
we have the dismiss button.

The delete button is when you want to remove completely a task from the
system.

My personal vision :

For me, delete should never be used except in some corner case when you
entered a task by mistake, when there's privacy concern about keeping a
specific task, stuffs like that. The only task I ever delete are test
tasks or tasks entered twice by mistake.

In this regard, I wanted to "hide" a bit more the delete button and to
put it in a submenu beneath the dismiss task. I really believe that you
should not see the delete button. For me, it's more a convenience
function than a feature.

Bertrand doesn't agree with me because, if I understand correctly, he
said that Mark as done, dismiss and delete are conceptually on the same
level. They are all "actions" on tasks and should be displayed in that
way. (he will probably correct me on this. I'm not speaking for him, I'm
explaining what I understood from his arguments)

While I agree with the theory, I just don't care too much about
theory ;-)

Bertrand also told me that my vision of "delete" should not be enforced
and that it's up to the user to choose his workflow. I agree with that
but I think that hiding the delete is more "encouraging an intuitive way
of using the software" than forcing the workflow.

Bertrand, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've summed our
disagreement on that particular point.

So, what do you think ? How should those buttons be displayed ? Do you
think it would make the interface easier and more intuitive to change
the button ?

Also, there was some proposition to change the "Dismiss" word. Maybe it
could help, indeed, I personally never thought about that. What do you
propose instead of "Dismiss" ?

Thanks for reading and for your participation,

Lionel

Follow ups