Re: Tag/workview behaviour

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to discuss some current behaviour of GTG with you. Any feedback is
> welcome.
>

> 1) Showing a particular tag only affect the active tasks pane.
>
> This could make sense but I intuitively find that selecting a tag should
> also affect the closed tasks pane. What do you think?

I think that we might need some extra thinking about that "Closed task pane"
in the future. First, it's not turned on by default, but still we largely
assume it's there. Shouldn't we do something about it? Who's using the
closed task pane? For what? In my view, the closed task pane is mainly a
convenience for:

 - Viewing what you just closed/dismissed, as a feedback on what your recent
activities were
 - Undoing a recent task (I personally never brought back any task that was
not one of the last three tasks I just closed)

Besides that, I agree we can say "Active tasks are filtered by tags, so
logically, why isn't the closed task pane?" Right, but what use case does
this cover? Is it interesting to filter those? In the view of my personal
use cases, it isn't. I would be interested to know if this behavior would
actually bring for some of you an easier interaction with GTG, and why.

In some way, I have the intuition that this closed task pane is a kind of
mixed-interactions-which-use-is-not-well-defined object, and a discussion
like this one could maybe clarify its sense, in a user interaction
perspective (or UX, since it seems it's the new hypish way of referring to
this field).

> 2) Non-workable tags are not displayed when in the workview mode.
>
> This also could make sense. But, personally, I often want to see a
> specific tag (call it "someday") and apply the workview on it. In GTG
> 0.1.2, the tasks tagged as "@someday" are not displayed in the workview of
> all tasks but, if you select @someday, you will have a workview applied to
> that specific tag only. I liked that behaviour and I don't know why and
> when it was changed.

Don't know either, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't done willingly. Although I
agree it's nice to get this kind information, I'm a bit confused here, since
it means that GTG workview mode would actually be defined differently
depending on what tag you selected. (and what is you unselect it? The tag
disappears from the list? Even more confusing...).

A solution (maybe): non-workable tags (btw we should rephrase this) could be
still displayed as grayed in the tag list when workview is enabled. Their
tasks would then not appear in the main list by default, but if you select
them explicitly, you could see them.

> I would like to have your advice on what behaviour you would prefer.
>

> As a side note, we are closer and closer of the long-awaited 0.2 release.
> We are sorry for the delay but we found that GTG was really unstable and we
> took the time to fix most of the issues.
>
> I would like you to test the current trunk (which is nearly stabilized)
> and to report any issue you might have. Please include a comprehensive
> step-by-step way of reproducing your bug. Testing the trunk is as easy as
> typing the following commands :
>
> bzr branch lp:gtg
> cd gtg
> ./gtg
>

> I'm really curious to see how well GTG 0.2 will behaves in real-life. I
> hope it will not be a KDE 4.0-like release. We are aware of the startup
> performance issue but we optimized most of the other issues. The task
> editor should be a lot better too.
>

> Thanks a lot for your support,

I cannot agree more with Lionel here, thanks for your help!