Re: Tag/workview behaviour

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:26:45 +0100, Bertrand Rousseau
<bertrand.rousseau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that we might need some extra thinking about that "Closed task
> pane"
> in the future. First, it's not turned on by default, but still we
largely
> assume it's there. Shouldn't we do something about it? Who's using the
> closed task pane? For what? In my view, the closed task pane is mainly a
> convenience for:
>
>  - Viewing what you just closed/dismissed, as a feedback on what your
>  recent
> activities were
>  - Undoing a recent task (I personally never brought back any task that
was
> not one of the last three tasks I just closed)
>
> Besides that, I agree we can say "Active tasks are filtered by tags, so
> logically, why isn't the closed task pane?" Right, but what use case
does
> this cover? Is it interesting to filter those? In the view of my
personal
> use cases, it isn't. I would be interested to know if this behavior
would
> actually bring for some of you an easier interaction with GTG, and why.

For my personal usecase, I sometime want to see everything I've done so
far in a given project (tag for me).

It also happens that I want to know the date at which a particular task
was done. I use tag filtering to make the search easier.

I agree that we should have more discussions about the closed tasks pane.
For example, I think we should only display the last XXX days in it.

> In some way, I have the intuition that this closed task pane is a kind
of
> mixed-interactions-which-use-is-not-well-defined object, and a
discussion
> like this one could maybe clarify its sense, in a user interaction
> perspective (or UX, since it seems it's the new hypish way of referring
> this field).

For my usecase, the scope is really clear. It's an object which serves
different purposes :

1) undoing recent actions (where "recent" might sometimes be a few weeks)
2) feedback to see what I've done (and also to see that I've not done
anything for days). This is both immediate feedback and mid-term feedback.
3) Record of my history.

This is, in my mind, well defined. I agree that we might imagine using 3
different tools for those 3 different purposes but there's nothing wrong,
by itself, to have one tool fulfilling 3 purposes.

We might think about enabling it by default because the immediate feedback
would help people to understand the difference between delete/done/dismiss.
It will also help understand that marking a parent as done also marks the
children as done.

>> 2) Non-workable tags are not displayed when in the workview mode.
>>
>> This also could make sense. But, personally, I often want to see a
>> specific tag (call it "someday") and apply the workview on it. In GTG
>> 0.1.2, the tasks tagged as "@someday" are not displayed in the workview
>> of
>> all tasks but, if you select @someday, you will have a workview applied
>> that specific tag only. I liked that behaviour and I don't know why and
>> when it was changed.
>>

> Don't know either, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't done willingly.
Although I
> agree it's nice to get this kind information, I'm a bit confused here,
> since
> it means that GTG workview mode would actually be defined differently
> depending on what tag you selected. (and what is you unselect it? The
tag
> disappears from the list? Even more confusing...).
>
> A solution (maybe): non-workable tags (btw we should rephrase this)
could
> be
> still displayed as grayed in the tag list when workview is enabled.
Their
> tasks would then not appear in the main list by default, but if you
select
> them explicitly, you could see them.

Maybe I was not clear but this is exactly what I proposed and what is the
behaviour of 0.1.2 so I don't really understand your discussion here ;-)

Lionel