Re: [Question #96680]: In the hamster plugin, why is the tag used as the activity instead of the title?

Question #96680 on Getting Things GNOME! changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/gtg/+question/96680

Kevin Mehall proposed the following answer:
Several people have requested this, so I think I'll make it a
configurable option.

This is the workflow used in the Hamster examples, and how I find it most useful:
    Activity Name (what shows in the panel): "GTG"
    Category: "hacking"

not

    Activity: "refactor hamster plugin"
    Category: "GTG"

because that way, the report can add up all the time for the "GTG"
activity and also the "Hacking" category. Therefore, GTG tags best map
to Activities, and the GTG task name goes in the Hamster description,
leaving the Category for Hamster to fill in based on its previous
knowledge of that activity. GTG uses tags to separate projects.

IMHO, putting the task title on the activity name, as you suggest, makes
the overview and reports less useful and more cluttered because activity
names are used multiple times only if the task is completed in multiple
sessions. The report is better used for totaling up time for projects
and categories.  Plus, the text of the GTG task title is often too long
and would make Hamster push other panel applets around. It also makes
Hamster autocomplete activity names that are done and will never be used
again.

Maybe a useful feature for Hamster would be to optionally include a list
of all entries under each activity on the reports, and to calculate
totals for all items with the same description. Do you think that is a
better fix, or should I make the GTG plugin have the option to use task
title as Hamster activity?

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of Gtg
developers, which is an answer contact for Getting Things GNOME!.