Re: XPS L501X - switching nVidia off

On 4 February 2011 15:32, Jesus Monzon Legido <gsusmonzon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Finally I follow the steps on [#3 Disable the nvidia gaphics card to
> increase battery life] adapted to my card
>
> http://robbyx.net/blog/?p=190
>
> so that it is switched off on each system logon. I attach the nvdown that
> worked for me (the one in the article is for Asus Laptop).

Post at http://robbyx.net/blog/?p=190 suggests following output after
insering acpi_call.ko module and running ./test_off.sh:

Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P3.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.MXR0.MXM0._OFF: failed
*Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0._OFF: works!*

What I am getting on my Dell Vostro 3300 is:

Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P3.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF: failed
*Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._OFF: works!*

And after running that I still see nvidia on the lspci list:

[root@v3300 acpi_call]# lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M]
(rev ff)

So probably it isn't switched off after all. Or maybe I'm doing something
wrong.

Basically, ./test_off.sh script "works!" on different part of the test in my
case but I'm not sure what does that mean, really. Could someone explain
what these acronyms (ie. \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._OFF) exactly mean?

--
Dawid 'evad' Lorenz * http://dawid.lorenz.co

null:// I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on disk somewhere