testing HP Pavilion dm4t-1000 acpi off, various drivers and i need explanation of bios options

This is what I got:

# lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series] [1002:68e0] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

# ./test_off.sh
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.VGA._OFF: failed.
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P3.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF: works!

Before this battery time is <2h.
After this it is prolongued and I have estimated it to be 3.5h.
Didn't measure it exactly.

I want to know if anyone has more info on some options available in bios.

First of all, I am able to enter bios (Insyde H20) advanced mode (press F10 followed by A as fast as possible) and there are options to choose integrated or discrete graphics or hybrid. But unfortunately choosing discrete is not possible because the bios gets stuck with a black screen on saving changes and I have to power cycle and after that the changes are lost. Choosing integrated is not persisted. After reboot it is again set to hybrid. It seems that these advanced options are locked and not usable.

There are few other bios options that might be related to this (looking at the name PEG), but I was not able to find info on them and what they do:
ASPM Enabled
PEG Force x1
Auto ASPM

In fact my problem is a different one :)

I would not like to turn off ATI, but the opposite - I would like to be able to force to use it. As it is now, I can not use it at all no matter if turned off (via acpi) or not Ubuntu always uses Intel integrated.
I do have 3d effects (compiz) but I need better opengl support (WebGL etc).

I have Ubuntu Maverick.
Using the Ubuntu recommended proprietary drivers results in an error that the graphics is switchable and unsupported and that I have to turn off the discrete adapter. Using the latest Catalyst 11 does not present any error but I was not able to get screen output (only black screen with a small _ (underscore) in the top left). Using the latest xedgers pushers updates still does not help again I am on Intel.

No matter what I tried, I am either on Intel or fb safe mode, and I am never able to get a display from ATI.

I tried Ubuntu Natty two weeks ago, and it was not stable enough (plus ATI did not work) so I reverted back to Maverick.

Follow ups