Re: ASUS N53Jn report -- debug info on shutdown freeze with card OFF

Le lundi 28 février 2011 à 11:29 +0000, Peter Goodall a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Romain Knezevic
> <romainknezevic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Running on an ASUS N53Jn w/ Ubuntu 10.10
> >
> > The test_off.sh script works fine, but I get 2 freezes
> >        - from shuting down if I do not turn the card back on beforehand
> >

> I think I get the same behaviour with Ubuntu 11.04, but need to
> verify.  Would like to know how to get useful debugging information if
> this is the case.

Yeah agree with that, some kind of dump ? Don't really know unix's crash
policy ! I'm thinking maybe one of the scripts in /etc/rc*.d is
responsible for the crash ? ---- OK writing this made me realize that it
wouldnt take long to test this out myself, so I did it.
Here is my current working /etc/rc6.d folder :
        K74bluetooth -> ../init.d/bluetooth
        README
        S10rebootrasp -> ../init.d/rebootrasp
        S10unattended-upgrades -> ../init.d/unattended-upgrades
        S20sendsigs -> ../init.d/sendsigs
        S30urandom -> ../init.d/urandom
        S31umountnfs.sh -> ../init.d/umountnfs.sh
        S35networking -> ../init.d/networking
        S40umountfs -> ../init.d/umountfs
        S60umountroot -> ../init.d/umountroot
        S90reboot -> ../init.d/reboot
As I understood it while trying to get to run my script that turns the
card back on before shutdown, the order of execution is kill
K00daemon...kill K99daemon...run S00script...run S99script.

So that is my working configuration above, the link S10rebootrasp
-> /etc/init.d/rebootrasp is mine, it only contains 2 lines, one turns
the card on and the other deletes a guard file that prevents my .bashrc
to run test_off.sh script more than once, so it's turned back OFF on
next fresh start when I open a terminal. Ok so with this I reboot with
no problems, I just tried "mv S10rebootrasp S91rebootrasp" so my script
is executed last, and it's not at all. It crashes and after hardreboot I
went to check if my guard file has been deleted and it was still here,
so the crash comes from one of the scripts above, I'm guessing
S90reboot. I could try placing my script between every pair but lazy
right now maybe later.

More debug info on the crash: There is a black screen with the last
commands run, and the proc gets stuck in a loop, here is the output.

(I wrote this by hand so didn't get all the first lines)

        init:tty6 ##...
##...
        init:dbus main p ##...
        Checking for running unattended-upgrade
##This is where the freeze occures, but it's not hardcore frozen,
##there is a prompt blinking, not taking any input at all
##Then after 60 secs of blinking
        BUG: soft lockup - CPU #0 stuck for 61s [xorg: 1438]
##another 60 secs
        BUG: soft lockup - CPU #0 stuck for 61s [xorg: 1438]
        INFO : task gdm-binary:1406 blocked 120sec
        INFO : task sync:2825 blocked 120sec
##some more of BUG: soft lockup - CPU #0 stuck for 61s [xorg: 1438]

So yeah I'm guessing it comes from a shutdown script of xorg trying to
do some operation on the nvidia card, but can't cause it's off.

> <snip>
>

> > Side question, I can't get compiz to run with effects with the
> > integrated chip, any ideas ? I have xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package
> > installed (I think it was by default), and no xorg.conf file, here is
> > the output from a term :
> >

> Afaik, you will not be able to use the NVidia card at all.  You will
> be using the Intel graphics card.  I too have an Asus notebook
> (u33jc), and am using Ubuntu 11.04 w/ Unity (which requires Compiz)
> running just fine.  Also, in the BIOS there is an option to use
> graphics for "Windows 7 / Vista" or "Other".  You must use the
> "Windows 7 / Vista" option or else you just get framebuffer support.
>
> Hope this is helpful.
>
> - Pete

Yeah I wish I had any kind of options for my graphics in the BIOS,
it really contains nothing at all. I was asking for the Intel chip
anyway I'm starting to get that the nvidia one is kind of hopeless,
I'm sure the intel chip can run compiz (it runs 720p vidz smoothly,
and high bitrate ones, not crappy scene release ;p), plus there is
a lot of feedback from people that run compiz with max effects just
fine with an Intel integrated chip ! So I'm thinking maybe a missing
driver or a good xorg.conf file would maybe do the trick ?
there is still the output below if anyone has an idea, a GLX missing
thingy from Xlib.