Re: Status and Progress

As I see it: this hybrid technology is here to stay, is a great
advantage in power management (at least for window$ is :@) but was
designed to microsoft users. I think the development here must be (at
least) a priority to be in parallel to the win7 capabilities.
I'm not saying the linux-based OS's aren't superior (they are in almost
every way) but here is what is getting linux away from the new-comer and
the people curious about linux. Here is where win7 (and only here) is
superior, just because it "works". I'm sure when a solution, partial or
fully functional, is developed for our beloved kernel/graphics
developers, linux will be again best choice above win7.

I'm saying that this tech is here to stay because almost every laptop
new now has some sort of hybrid graphics and the nVidia-based graphics
are all shipped with this Optimus technology.

I'm seeing some progress, not from the graphics developers, but from the
kernel developers: there is a way to switch on/off many dedicated cards
and many integrated cards. We are far from a complete solution but every
new successful switch (with or without errors) are getting us nearer.

This is my point of view, from what I'm reading every day in the
linux-hybrid-graphics blog and here just from users. The community
works. I'm just a relatively new user to linux with a switchable
graphics card (nVidia to be exact) and as a non-graphics/kernel
developer all i can do is wait and test, cheer up the good results and
keeping on getting new users to linux.

So, folks, try to add and no subtract to the effort. Try to get new
developers you know and try to bond efforts from ati/nVidia with the
kernel/graphics developers to get a functional solution. The first step
is always the most critical and the most hard.

Abrazo de gol