link collection (@Michael Reid)

Hi Mike,

if you find those links again, could you post them here, or even better provide a link list on the launchpad website?

thanks
     Hecke

On 04/06/2011 03:51 PM, Michael Reid wrote:
But I *can* load the Nvidia binaries, even that no chance to get my dGPU running?

I believe the answer here is no. At least you won't be able to see the
output of the Nvidia GPU. In Optimus laptops, the Nvidia GPU is not
connected to the actual display, instead it just renders into the same
surface as the IGP which then displays the image. So while the driver
may load and it may even be rendering the X desktop for you, it has no
way of actually sending the output to the screen.

I'm sure I have messed up some details, but that is the basic idea. I
don't have the links handy, but there are a few forum posts around
that explain this in more detail. Also Nvidia have released an Optimus
whitepaper, that goes into plenty of detail.

/mike.
begin:vcard
fn:Hecke
n:Degering, geb. Schrobsdorff;Hecke
org:Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience;MPI for Dynamics and Self-Organization
adr:;;Bunsenstrasse 10;Goettingen;;37073;Germany
email;internet:hecke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:0551-5176441
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.nld.ds.mpg.de/~hecke