Re: A rather interesting development regarding AMD Bacon.

On 07/19/2011 04:40 PM, Eric Appleman wrote:
The following image represents Bacon as we and other OEMs know it:
http://i.imgur.com/Zi0Ly.jpg

That may change.

HP will be adding a BIOS switch to their Bacon laptops that will
apparently permit all rendering to occur on the on the Radeon GPU while
using the IGP exclusively for output.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/Official-HP-statement-on-Switchable-Graphics-and-Open-GL/td-p/766285

"Update: There is a BIOS update in the works that will allow you to
switch from the default Dynamic mode to Fixed mode. Switching to Fixed
Mode will allow you to run Open GL programs on the AMD Radeon graphics
processor. We will let you know as soon as this is available."

Stay tuned for details. I intend to lead a testing effort for new
DSDT/SSDT collection and switch testing once the update comes out.

- Eric
Small clarification. Rather than a BIOS switch, it's probably the Scheme Switch that is referred to as "Juliet" on page 16 of the Bacon presentation.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6HLw4COEpWLZWQ2YTEwOGMtMTE1Ni00ZmE0LTk5NzctN2E4OGFlNDViMWU5&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

- Eric