Re: Xen VGAPassthrough compatibility with Hybrid Graphics?

My dell studio xps 16 does vtd,  so the newer ones might.
On Sep 26, 2011 6:56 PM, "Eric Appleman" <erappleman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/26/2011 07:30 PM, Josef wells wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone with Optimus or PowerXpress has tried to do some
device virtualization as described here:

>> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough
>>
>> This requires an intel core i5/i7 (some first gen and all sandybridge) a
laptop bios that supports Vt-d, and dual graphics.

>> You would use the IGP graphics for your linux dom0 host, and reserve the
other VGA pci address for a specific guest, like windows.

>> Everyone I see trying has done it on a desktop machine, laptops are
always a special challenge :)

>> Thanks,
>> -Josef

> It's a good idea, but VT-d is a problem. Not many laptops have BIOS
support for it and certain Sandy CPUs like the 2630QM don't.