Re: Xen VGAPassthrough compatibility with Hybrid Graphics?

On Sep 26, 2011 6:56 PM, "Eric Appleman" <erappleman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's a good idea, but VT-d is a problem. Not many laptops have BIOS
support for it and certain Sandy CPUs like the 2630QM don't.

> You'd really need a Quadro Optimus or NVS Optimus laptop to pull this off.
>
> - Eric

I see now there are a few exceptions to the Vt-d support, the
wikipedia pages list those:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors#Mobile_processors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Mobile_processors

You can check your laptop for compatibility like so:

AMD Machine
dmesg | grep AMD-Vi
     AMD-Vi: Enabling IOMMU at 0000:00:00.2 cap 0x40
     AMD-Vi: Lazy IO/TLB flushing enabled
     AMD-Vi: Initialized for Passthrough Mode

Intel Machine
dmesg | grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU
     DMAR:DRHD base: 0x000000feb03000 flags: 0x0
     IOMMU feb03000: ver 1:0 cap c9008020e30260 ecap 1000

From:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM#VT-d_support

You would need to pass iommu=1 on the kernel line if using Xen (I think).

Something to try anyway.

Thanks,
   -Josef