Bumblebee 3.0 Press Release

Bumblebee 3.0 "Tumbleweed" is out!

The Bumblebee Project proudly presents version 3.0 of Bumblebee, a
aiming to support NVIDIA Optimus technology under Linux. After two
months of
hard work this version has finally been considered stable enough for
If you thought that Bumblebee was dead, it's still alive and kicking!
The project has been fully rewritten in the C programming language,
increased performance and reliability, mostly thanks to a new developer
in the
project, Jaron Viëtor (a.k.a. Thulinma). That bring the number of main
developers to
4, the three other ones being Peter Wu (a.k.a. Lekensteyn), Joaquín
Aramendía (a.k.a. Samsagax) and Bruno Pagani (a.k.a. ArchangeGabriel).
The most important new feature is automatic power management support.
Yes, in
Bumblebee 3.0 "Tumbleweed", you've got Power Management working out of
the box,
without any manual configuration needed. That's not the only one though,
full changelog could be found at
This rewrite of the project was an occasion for updating available
documentations, wikis and instructions that can be found on the web.
please be aware that we cannot update all sites that exist and that a
misinformation is still spread. The best way to be sure to have the
instructions is checking our wiki at
http://wiki.bumblebee-project.org or follow us at
Twitter http://bumblebee-project.org/twitter,
Facebook http://bumblebee-project.org/facebook or
Google Plus http://bumblebee-project.org/g+.
Currently, packages for ArchLinux, Ubuntu and Mandriva have been
Below are installation instructions for some distributions:
Arch Linux:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee
Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee
Mandriva: There's a bumblebee package in their repositories.
Other distributions can find more generic installation instructions at
We currently do not accept donations. The Paypal account referred by the
tinyurl "Bumblebee Project" belongs to Martin Juhl (MrMEEE), which was a
developer of Bumblebee (he is now working on his own fork, Ironhide). If
still have too much money, consider bribing an NVIDIA employee.
Joking :)
The team is looking for users having the necessary knowledge to build
for other popular distributions, if you're interested please join
#bumblebee-dev on Freenode. We'll then link our documentation to the one
your distribution.
Now that Bumblebee 3.0 has been released, we will continue improving it.
Therefore we seek developers experienced in building Compositing Window
Managers, a goal we want to achieve for version (far).(away).
If you run into problems, be sure to read
Although we aim at stability, (compatibility) issues may still occur
which can
be reported by following the instructions on

We hope you enjoy it.
The Bumblebee Project Team.