Re: Apple Macbook Pro switching on Debian Unstable

El 12/05/12 02:17, Andreas Heider escribió:
* Finally... I'm not so quite interested in the switching functionality
but in using Intel card. I mean... Might it possible without any patched
kernel to just pass some boot parametres so that nvidia card is disabled
and intel card enabled and used? Maybe with patched kernel

Thats possible, and as the switching driver isn't 100% finished and I
don't have the time to do it at the moment it's probably the best
solution for your use case.

See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting#Selecting_the_graphic_card

Well, these are my doubts so far. Thank you for any clue you might
give me.

Hello,

  It's me again!

I've made it finally! Intel working here with nvidia card turned off (how can I check that it's actually turned off).

I will make a blog post in Spanish with all the changes but here there is kind of a summary:

1) UEFIBooting refers to: i915.lvds_channels=2 but nowadays you have to use: i915.lvds_channel=2 . So no channels but channel.

2) Applied mbp changes to ubuntu-kernel to debian-kernel (excepting the part where you create a new flavour).
  3) i915 not built as a module but as kernel builtin.

4) Now I am rebuilding the kernel with some tricks for the fan and so that I can use backlight. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10694990&postcount=259

This other page (which has helped me a bit) seems to use an older patch for the lvds_channels stuff (note that here it is channels not channel ;) ): http://dentifrice.poivron.org/laptops/macbookpro8,2/

The way I've done all of this I think I would be able to compile the bumblebee drive and try to switch and so on... but that will be in another spare weekend... I don't know when.

Thank you for your initial help and thank you for being so patience (I think that's my fourth email as a reply).

Whenever the fans and backlight work, I'll document it in Spanish and I will for sure, update this conversation with a link to the blog post.

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/