Re: Nvidia responds to Linus

El 19/06/12 18:43, Vangel V. Ajanovski escribió:
On 06/19/2012 06:44 PM, Madura Anushanga wrote:

    but who asked for "seamless"? People just need a way to "switch"
    the cards on Linux *some how* without getting in to details.
    nVidia is now riding the Xorg bandwagon for optimus, soon they'll
    be presented with Wayland, if I'm not mistaken they've announced
    that they are not planning for Wayland.

I bought a HP laptop a year and half ago. ATI hybrid with MUX and 12 months hw part-only warranty. No official linux support.

Month 0-6 - lots of unsuccessful fiddling and performance with ATI driver was the same as with Intel opensource. Not worth the money and effort. Month 7 - finally ATI driver works as supposed. I was able to switch with a logoff/logon and it worked at least 3 times faster then Intel in some tests I did. Unfortunately, gnome3-shell did not work with ATI driver. I dropped ATI driver and started to switch off the card during boot. Month 9 - later ATI driver versions supposedly fixed the problem with Gnome3, but it started telling me the card is not supported. Some month or so after, I was informed by ATI staff that MUX are not supported any more and never will be.

This happened even before the basic hw part only warranty was out.
HP does not care - it was never officially supported.
ATI does not care - it was never officially supported.

I agree with Linus' reaction and extend it warmly and happily towards HP and ATI, and of course Microsoft where the whole thing has it's roots.

Hey, Vangel, I have a similar situation.

One year ago, I bought Acer with notebook with Optimus. Then, I realized that it wasn't for Linux... I changed it for a Pavillion dv6 3160us, with 4250 and 5650 ATI cards... thinking PowerXpress DID work on Linux... I couldn't ever used the discrette card with Catalyst, nor OpenSource Drivers.

The best configuration I was using was: Ubuntu 11.04, Catalyst 11.6. There were some artifacts moving some windows, viewing video with hardware acceleration and using a 3D engine (Blender)... but the computer worked for my needs (look at it: http://vimeo.com/35154176, at minute 1:00 the digital puppet starts).

Since I get the HP, I tested Catalyst 11.7, 11.8, 11.8, 11.10... Ubuntu 10.04, 10.11, 11.10... Mint... and in any of these software configs, couldn't use Blender (edit mode) because of visual errors. In Blender, the display had a ONE-EVENT-DELAY. This mean that, if I pressed a key, it display the change in the screen not at the moment, but the next time I press another key (or mouse click). All the events has that delay... yes, I know, it's very strange.

I test vgaswitcheroo in Ubuntu 11.04... nothing. There's no way to use change to the discrette. And the open source drivers are really slower than the proprietarie's.

Then, Ubuntu 12.04 arrived... and the last version of Catalyst. The discrette card still does not work, but: The hardware video acceleration is OK. Blender works OK. Only few artifacts on moving Blender windows... but now... I HAVE AUDIO PROBLEMS! I'm using Jack and have XRUNS (buffer under-or-overrun) that I didn't have before.

(Vgaswitcheroo doesn't work in Ubuntu 12.04)

I repeat... Discrette card still does not work. I've used the 4250 integrated card.... but spend so much money to have the 5650.

Fuck you, ATI. Fuck you, HP.