Re: Bumblebee for Hybrid SLI (Nvidia MCP79 / 9400M G / 9200M GS) on Dell Studio XPS 13 (1340)

Bruno and Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to reply earlier. I didn't have time to work
on this for a while, but I've done a bit more research along the lines you
both suggested.

Looking at nvidia-settings, I can see that both graphics chips are
recognized. GPU 0 (integrated) has "X screens: Screen 0" and "Display
Devices: Seiko/Epson (DFP-0)" (which is the laptop screen, while GPU 1 has
"X screens: None" and "Display Devices: CRT-0 (CRT-0)" (?)

So, the discrete card is always running and somehow gets configured with a
(bogus?) display, while the integrated card gets the laptop LCD.

I found that a lot of people have posted about trying to set the BusID in
xorg.conf to that of the discrete card. I tried this as well but, like
them, found this resulted in the laptop screen going blank once X starts.
The computer will respond to keyboard input, however. I've also tried using
the "ConnectedMonitor" option to force the discrete card to use a DFP
instead of a CRT, and I've also tried explicitly configuring an X screen in
xorg.conf to use the dedicated GPU device with the LCD monitor. All of this
still results in a black/off screen upon starting X. Is there a reason that
the card wouldn't be driving the display? Is there something more I can do
to tie them together?

I've also had a look at the ACPI tables (e.g.
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/24358773/DSDT.dsl), and I can see that the
calls to switch the discrete card on and off are obvious because of their
debug logging ("MXM on/off"). There are two other methods in the same
scope, "HSTA" and "_ROM," but I can't tell what they're for. How can I
decipher them? Just trial and error?

Maybe I need to somehow configure X to tell the nvidia driver to ignore the
integrated GPU device so that it configures the discrete device to use the
laptop LCD. Or is there some other reason that nvidia isn't letting me
assign that monitor to the discrete device?

Thanks again for any suggestions,
Michael