Re: Bumblebee for Hybrid SLI (Nvidia MCP79 / 9400M G / 9200M GS) on Dell Studio XPS 13 (1340)

On Tuesday 17 July 2012 15:11:55 Michael Rodríguez-Torrent wrote:
> Hi Bruno, thank you for getting back to me. That's frustrating to hear that
> integrated nVidia can't be handled in the same way as Intel. Will bbswitch
> work to turn off the discrete card, however? Or should I use the acpi_call
> module with the call I mentioned (described here:
> http://luizfar.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/how-to-switch-off-xps1340-discrete-v
> ideo-card-on-linux/ )?
You'd better not use acpi_call if bbswitch works, acpi_call does not surivive
suspend for example.

> Also, are there known ways to force X to use the discrete card full-time
> rather than the integrated chip? Do you know if there's some way I can
> research ACPI calls or whatever it may take to do this? I'm not quite sure
> where to begin.
**Some** machines have an ACPI method for switching card for the next boot,
for example, the ASUS Eee PC 1015PN:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Eee_PC_1015pn#nVidia_ION_2_with_Optimus

These are, however, very rare cases. More often, you will find a BIOS option on
enterprise laptops (Lenovo ones) for selecting a card. but the majority of the
people won't have any option at because it saves the manufacturer costs.

So, you may dig in your ACPI tables, but there is a little chance that you are
really that lucky to find something that allows you to use the discrete card
only. (I am ignoring PRIME in this story for now as you cannot use it with the
proprietary nvidia driver and besides that, it is not ready).

Regards,
Peter