indicator-sound-developers team mailing list archive

Re: libindicate-qt and menu

2011/1/12 Aurélien Gâteau <aurelien.gateau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 12/01/2011 07:21, Vsevolod Velichko wrote:
>>
>> Hello, Aurélien.
>>
>> I'm working on the mpd-sound-menu — application, providing MPRIS
>> interface for MPD and displaying MPD in Ubuntu Sound Menu.
>
> Great news!
>
>> This application is written in Qt and uses your libindicate-qt library.
>> During the development I faced some problem: I have no idea how to
>> provide an menu. I've looked through the library source code, but
>> found nothing similar to what I need/
>> There's a method in the original libindicate:
>>
>> void indicate_server_set_menu (IndicateServer * server, DbusmenuServer *
>> menu);
>>
>> But there's no appropriate method in libindicate-qt :(
>
> Indeed, I did not implement this method in libindicate-qt. However I am
> surprised you need it: the Sound Menu only uses libindicate to discover
> available players: it cannot show any associated libindicate menu. In fact
> in Natty (the next Ubuntu), the Sound Menu does not use libindicate anymore:
> it does everything through MPRIS.
>
> Aurélien

Yeah, I've already read about that it won't have to require libindicate anymore.

Nevertheless, MPD is distribution- and DE-independent daemon, you
know. So mpd-sound-menu is independent application and all the
parameters it need have to be stored somewhere and have to be set by
some means.

At the moment the only way to set configuration is to edit m-s-m
config-file or pass command-line parameters on start. That way can't
be considered user-friendly :) The other awful fact is that you can't
just click "Exit", "Quit" or some other button to just stop m-s-m, you
have to send some SIGINT/SIGTERM/SIGKILL signal. I suppose it's
unacceptable for the common user.

I have no idea how to solve that usability problem now.

> PS: CC'ing Conor, the developer of the Sound Menu. You may also want to join
> the "indicator-sound" mailing list:
> https://launchpad.net/~indicator-sound-developers

I suppose you're right and the problem should be discussed with
indicator-sound developers too.

----
Best wishes and have a nice day,
Vsevolod Velichko