inx-devel team mailing list archive

INX RC-2 - Feedback Please!

Hello,

The Release Candidate 2 of INX is now on the server:

http://inx.maincontent.net/download.html

Site changes will propagate to the inx.boinc.ch server in the next day
or so. The iso files and additions to /devel are already there.

 New in RC-2:

* Not exactly new, but I have incorporated the wrapper script that runs
  xlinks2 / links2 -g  *from the menus* with directfb, which makes
  using it much more pleasant, without using suid root on the links2
  binary. Invoking it as xlinks2 from the command line of course
  bypasses the wrapper and still works fine with directfb.

* Fixed the "wikig" command to use this wrapper, since it's a little
  scriptm and had the same access issue as the menus.

* Extra introductory docs, both "Starters" and "Advanced" - these are
  accessible from the new "first-screen" that pops up after the boot
  sequence. You can get an index, navigate forwards or back and so on.

* Credits also accessible from the "first-screen" - please tell me if I
  left you out somehow.

* GNU GPL Version 3  item on the "first-screen"

* "Welcome" splash screen - this and the "first-screen" are in yellow
   and "brown" (actually it's a non-bold yellow that looks brown - let
   me know what you think of this. It looks OK on my monitor... )

* Welcome splash should only appear on first booting, and after
   continuing from the opening screen to the main INX menu.

* "Tools" menu has two new keys to access the first screen - "a" to get
   the default screen, "b" to go to the "INX 101" screen. On exit from
   these you should return to the Tools menu.

* Added some basic "man" pages - see "apropos inx" and "man cdmp"

* Included "Inxtaller" and "Buildinx" - but without menu links, and
  referenced only from the "advanced" docs. (With warnings, for
  inxtaller) Man pages for each (Should 'man inxtaller' be in section 8
  as I have placed it?)

As always, comments, bug fixes, and deserved flames welcome :)
Please check out the new stuff and report impressions.

We probably should set up a torrent for RC-2 as well, if only for
further testing, since we will want a torrent for the release...
If I set up a tracker for RC-2 will anyone test it out? Are team members
in a position to keep on seeding? (We will need several reliable seeds
if this is to be worth doing)

There is also a new RC-2 Virtual Box bzip2
image in the /devel directory, if you prefer to try that. Qemu image
coming soon...

Please download and test!

Peter

--