ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: yum-plugin-replace

Thanks. I think I have it working now. On to the next adventure (hopefully with fewer issues).

________________________________
From: Ilya A. Otyutskiy <sharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Nat Colley <nat.colley@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ius-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ius-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Ius-community] yum-plugin-replace

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Nat Colley <nat.colley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sharp, you got me halfway there. Yes, I was typing it in exactly as I saw
> it, and that included the #. (Obviously I'm new at all of this). Taking that
> off gives me output, but i still can't run the rpm command as you can see:

Hello Nat.

For future reference, the command after hash (#) sign means that you
need to run it as privileged (root) user and the command after dollar
($) sign means that you need to run it as unprivileged (e.g. you)
user. You don't need to type this character to your command prompt. In
bash (which you are using as a shell) the hash sign means comment,
that's why your previous attempts failed. FYI, variables are prefixed
with the dollar sign.

Try to do this:

# rpm -iUvh http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/x86_64/ius-release-1-2.ius.el5.noarch.rpm

The above command will install the ius-release package and will
configure your system to use IUS.

After that run this:

# yum install epel-release

Answer 'y' to yum's query about installation and 'y' on the question
about GPG-key.

That command will configure your system to use EPEL via installing
epel-release package. IUS has that package inside.

After that you can upgrade your MySQL/PHP (or what you wanted to do
originally) just using `yum install what-do-you-need' commands.

--
SY, Ilya A. Otyutskiy aka Sharp