ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: what would it take to get php53u-mysql51 (and friends) created?

On 01/16/2013 08:34 AM, Ben Harper wrote:
> Thanks for taking time to get involved with IUS Community.  From time
> to time, we get notified of this warning from phpMyAdmin, but we have
> yet to be notified of any 'real' issues.  The following FAQ was
> created regarding the notification:
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ius/+faq/1197
>
> Joe, are you running into issues besides the warning from phpMyAdmin?
>
> In regards to the history of php53u-pgsql and php53u-pgsql84, the
> php53u-pgsql84 package was created before I started packaging for
> IUS.  The FAQ does touch on it briefly.  I was only able to find the
> following 'bug' within Lauchpad:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ius/+bug/594430
>
> I'll see if I can dig up any more information regarding php53u-pgsql
> and php53u-pgsql84.

i did some more digging into mysql client/server protocol versioning and
it looks like that hasn't changed in a long time, so maybe there aren't
any gotchas by using the older client library to talk to the newer
server. the biggest thing i could find is that 5.5 supports extra
authentication methods that 5.0 or 5.1 clients might not work with. the
phpmyadmin warning may cause some client moaning, but i guess i can
always disable that :-).