Greetings from a first time poster

--0-36003974-1184769164=:56849 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ascii

Greetings,

Since hearing about KiCad in relatively recent times, I have downloaded both (the 02-Jul-07 version of) the compiled files for use with Windows, and the (corresponding set of) source code files, and have since been trying it out (in conjunction with Win2000 SP4).

While doing so I discovered that when I attempted to select the Drill Report option while generating a Drill file from a PCB file, the file concerned had a size of zero bytes, and I was unable to subsequently delete it from my hard drive until after I had closed the associated PCB file. Looking at the source code within the pcbnew\gendrill.cpp file indicated that data actually should have been written to that file, but the behaviour which I had previously experienced suggested that the file was not being closed afterwards, and which I subsequently confirmed after looking at the code within that file in more detail.

On this occasion, I have uploaded a copy of an updated version of the gendrill.cpp file to the Files page, so I'm hoping that somebody else here will subsequently take a look at it, and if they are happy with the changes I have made, then check that file in.

(I am not set up to compile files on my own PC as of yet, but it is my intention to be able to do so at the first opportunity. And any tips which anyone else could provide me with in that regard would be appreciated, such as a list of the files which I should acquire, the associated URLs, the sequence in which I should install those files, etc.)

And to avoid having to upload any more files to the Files page, I would also be interested in being provided with the ability to be able to check in files to some appropriate location. (I have recently installed a copy of TortoiseSVN ( version 1.4.4) on my PC, and have since checked out a full set of files from the Trunk branch of KiCad.)

I wouldn't regard myself as a guru when it comes to C++, but I have had some experience in writing code in Delphi (from using Protel and Altium Designer, which were developed using Delphi, and which support customised addon functionality also developed in conjunction with Delphi), and I am not totally unfamiliar with C++. So even if I don't write any significant amounts of "new" code, I'm still hoping that I would still be able to contribute by tracking bugs within the code and (when possible) figuring out how to rectify them.

And before I say ciao for the time being, I have also noticed that the pcbnew\controle.cpp file refers to WXK_NUMPAD0 (on line 186) and to WXK_NUMPAD9 (on line 191), when I would have expected those lines to refer to WXK_NUMPAD9 and WXK_NUMPAD3 (respectively) instead. The weird thing though is that while editing a PCB file, either the PageUp or NumPad9 key selects the Component layer, and that either the PageDown or NumPad3 key similarly selects the Copper layer. I'm picking that all of those outcomes actually were intended ... , yet the source code is suggesting that different keys from the numeric section of the keyboard should be pressed instead. Can anyone else cast any light on those discrepancies? (Some bug in wxwidgets/mingw/msys perhaps?)

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
gharlandau@...

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all webmail accounts.

 --0-36003974-1184769164=:56849 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ascii

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Since hearing about KiCad in relatively recent times, I have downloaded both (the 02-Jul-07 version of) the compiled files for use with Windows, and the (corresponding set of) source code files, and have since been trying it out (in conjunction with Win2000 SP4).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>While doing so I discovered that when I attempted to select the Drill Report option while generating a Drill file from a PCB file, the file concerned had a size of zero bytes, and I was unable to subsequently delete it&nbsp;from my hard drive until after I had closed the associated&nbsp;PCB file. Looking at the source code within the pcbnew\gendrill.cpp file indicated that data actually should have been written to that file, but the behaviour which I had previously experienced suggested that the file was not being closed afterwards, and which I subsequently confirmed after looking at the code within that file in more detail.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On this occasion, I have uploaded a copy of an updated version&nbsp;of the gendrill.cpp file to the Files page, so I'm hoping that somebody else here will subsequently&nbsp;take a look at it, and if they are happy with the changes I have made, then check that file in.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(I am not&nbsp;set up to compile files on my own PC as of yet, but it is my intention to be able to do so at the first opportunity. And any tips which anyone else could provide me with in that regard would be appreciated, such as a list of the files which I should acquire, the associated&nbsp;URLs, the sequence in which I should install those files, etc.)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And to avoid having to upload any more files to the Files page,&nbsp;I would also be interested in being provided with the ability to be able to check in files to some appropriate location. (I have recently installed a copy of TortoiseSVN ( version 1.4.4) on my PC, and have since checked out a full set of files from the Trunk branch of KiCad.)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;wouldn't regard myself as a guru when it comes to C++, but I have had some experience in writing code in Delphi (from using Protel and Altium Designer, which were developed using Delphi, and which support customised addon functionality also developed in conjunction with Delphi), and I am not totally unfamiliar with C++. So even if I don't write any significant amounts of "new" code, I'm still hoping that I would still be able to contribute by tracking bugs within the code and (when possible)&nbsp;figuring out how to rectify them.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And before I say ciao for the time being, I have also noticed that the pcbnew\controle.cpp file refers to WXK_NUMPAD0 (on line 186) and to WXK_NUMPAD9 (on line 191), when I would have expected those lines to refer to WXK_NUMPAD9 and WXK_NUMPAD3 (respectively) instead. The weird thing though is that while editing a PCB file, either the PageUp or NumPad9 key selects the Component layer, and that either the PageDown or NumPad3 key similarly selects the Copper layer. I'm picking that all of those outcomes&nbsp;actually were intended ... ,&nbsp;yet the source code is suggesting that different keys from the numeric section of the keyboard should be pressed instead. Can anyone else cast any light on those discrepancies? (Some bug in wxwidgets/mingw/msys perhaps?)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Geoff Harland.</DIV>
<DIV><A href="mailto:gharlandau@...";>gharlandau@...</A></DIV>