Re: sourceforge

--0-821793805-1187396741=:49770 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

> > > So, that gives us hope for x86 32 bit linux. Now we have to find
> > > someone who can build the windows binaries and installation files.
> >
> Milan Hor=E1k wrote:
> >
> > What should one need to build these?
>=20
>=20
> On Windows:
>=20
> There is some (probably out of date) information on it in the file
>=20
> how-to-build-kicad.txt
>=20
> which you would obtain by first checking out the subversion repository.
>=20
> Basically you need the mingw32 versions of make, g++, as, ld, and the
> mentioned library sources.
>=20
> The how-to says also that msys is required, but I am not sure why it
> would be or that it is, but it may be.
>=20
> The wiki tells how to checkout the SVN repository, but it shows how to
> pull the whole tree, when you need only the stuff under trunk, so
> append /trunk to its example source path.
>=20
>=20
> Dick
=20
I would seriously recommend that anyone wanting to compile KiCad on Windows=
actually install msys (and that they do so *after* installing mingw32, and=
that they install it in a *different* folder (to that previously specified=
for mingw32)). The installation of msys provides various
aspects of a Unix/Linux environment (which would not otherwise be provided)=
during compilation procedures.
=20
I always compile KiCad using the make(.exe) command provided by msys, and n=
ever while using the mingw32-make.exe command provided by mingw32 (and whic=
h should be named as such, rather than as make.exe, if mingw32 is installed=
before msys).
=20
Some of the documentation provided for mingw32 and msys is confusing (as va=
rious documents suggest installing mingw32 before msys, but another documen=
t suggests installing them in the opposite sequence), but my personal exper=
ience was that I eventually "got there".
=20
wxWidgets should subsequently be installed (and then compiled) prior to mak=
ing any attempt to compile KiCad. I have installed version 2.8.4, and note =
that there are one or two of its source code files which should be edited p=
rior to compiling it (as detailed within the files provided for KiCad, and =
which also specify how wxWidgets should be compiled).
=20
Regards,
Geoff Harland.

_____________________________________________________________________=
_______________
Get the World's number 1 free email service.
http://mail.yahoo.com.au
 --0-821793805-1187396741=:49770 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;=
font-size:12pt"><DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&gt; &gt; &gt; So, that gives us hope for x86 32 bit l=
inux. Now we have to find<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; someone who can build the windo=
ws binaries and installation files.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; Milan Hor=E1k wrot=
e:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; What should one need to build these?<BR>&gt; <=
/DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&gt; <BR>&gt; On Windows:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; There is so=
me (probably out of date) information on it in the file<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ho=
w-to-build-kicad.txt<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; which you would obtain by first check=
ing out the subversion repository.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Basically you need the =
mingw32 versions of make, g++, as, ld, and the<BR>&gt; mentioned library so=
urces.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The how-to says also that msys is required, but I a=
m not sure why it<BR>&gt; would be or that it is, but it may be.<BR>&gt; <B=
R>&gt; The wiki tells how to checkout the SVN repository, but it shows how =
to<BR>&gt; pull the whole tree, when you need only the stuff under trunk, s=
o<BR>&gt; append /trunk to its example source path.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&g=
t; Dick</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>I would seriously recommend that anyone wanting to com=
pile KiCad on Windows actually&nbsp;install msys (and that they do so *afte=
r* installing mingw32, and that they install it in a *different* folder (to=
that previously specified for mingw32)). The installation of msys provides=
various</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>aspects of a Unix/Linux environment&nbsp;(which would =
not otherwise be provided) during compilation procedures.</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>I always compile KiCad using the make(.exe) command pr=
ovided by msys, and never while using the mingw32-make.exe command provided=
by mingw32 (and which should be named as such, rather than as make.exe, if=
mingw32 is installed before msys).</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>Some of the documentation provided for mingw32 and msy=
s is confusing (as various documents suggest installing mingw32 before msys=
, but another document&nbsp;suggests installing them in the&nbsp;opposite s=
equence), but my personal experience was that I eventually "got there".</DI=

<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>wxWidgets should subsequently be&nbsp;installed (and t=
hen compiled) prior to making any attempt to compile KiCad. I have installe=
d version 2.8.4, and note that there are one or two of its source code file=
s which should be edited prior to compiling it (as detailed within the file=
s provided for KiCad, and which also specify how wxWidgets should be compil=
ed).</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>Geoff Harland.</DIV>
<DIV class=3Dmsgarea>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></div><br>

<hr size=3D1>
Get the World's number 1 free email service. <a href=3D"http://au.rd.yahoo.=
com/mail/taglines/optusnet/number_one/*http://mail.yahoo.com.au"; target=3D_=
blank>Find out more</a>.