Re: Track connectivity enhancement

Geoff Harland wrote:

> jean-pierre charras wrote:
> <snip>
> > Geoff :
> > Please, remove all your last changes in via enhancement.
> > You are mistaken for via attributes.
> > *** Attribute is only what layer pair is allowed, not what layer
> > pair is really used. ***
> >
> > Via attributes can be THROUGH VIA, BURIED VIA or BLIND VIA.
> > Its is only a via attribute, not the real via type.
> <snip>
> > Jean-Pierre CHARRAS
>
> Jean-Pierre,
>
> Thank you for explaining that vias' (shape) attributes actually
> specify the permitted layer pairs for each via, rather than the
> layer pair which is actually used.
>
> As you have provided me with that explanation, I now appreciate
> that the changes which I recently made were inappropriate, so I
> will remove them ASAP.

Jean-Pierre,

I have now rolled back the changes to the class_track.cpp and
editrack-part2.cpp files which I made previously.

I also made some changes to the ioascii.cpp file before, but you have
since modified those changes yourself (within revision 337), so I
have not changed that file any further for now.

For your information though, any via which is really of a through-
hole nature (top_layer = LAYER_CMP_N, bottom_layer = COPPER_LAYER_N)
will currently have its Shape property changed to VIA_NORMALE
whenever a PCB file is reopened, and regardless of what value had
been assigned to that property previously.

Is that what you really want? If not, please let me know, and I will
then roll back the changes which I made within that file as well.

And on another matter, I have been investigating the possibility of
implementing a new dialog box to permit the values of the properties
of a track (or segment) to be viewed or edited. I haven't written any
associated code as of yet, but the Track_Properties_DB.zip file which
I have recently uploaded to the Files page of this mailing list (
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-devel/files ) contains a
bitmap file which depicts a suggested dialog box.

Because I don't want to do anything which is not in keeping with how
you want KiCad to develop, could you please let me know whether you
would be happy for me to continue with implementing such a dialog
box. (I would also be interested in hearing whether you would like
any changes made to which properties are listed, or how those
properties are listed.)

Regards,
Geoff Harland.