Building on Mac OS X and GNU autotools

Hi,

I'm a new Kican user. I may be able to contribute some code but
first some questions:

1) What are the plans for use of GNU auto tools? Is this the way to
go? Is it being worked? If no one is doing this and people want it I
could add this.

I would implement it as a parallel build system where users could use
either the current makefile or do the ./configure thing. Later
remove the makefiles. Also the first implementation would just
duplicate the current makefiles and not add any functionality. Once
this is reliable it could be extended to actually do some checks.

2) I think the Mac port needs work. I tried building it under Mac OS
X and got a huge number of compile problems and warnings. It may be
that #1 above needs to be done first. I decided to try building on
Linux first. This is going better. My goal is the get Kicad working
on the Mac but I think I'll gain some experience with it on Linux
first. I have Ubuntu installed using VMware Fusion on my Mac

My day job is UNIX software development mostly on Solaris and Linux.
I'ce been at this for maybe 20+ years now. But I'm new to both kicad
and the Mac development environment

--
=====
Chris Albertson