Re: Subversion Changes

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:19:06 +0100, Igor Plyatov <plyatov@...> wrote:

Hello Dick!

1) The November release candidate has been copied into
*https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/tags/kicad-2007-Nov*

Notice that the day of month has been dropped and we are using 'Nov'
instead of 11.

Who is this "we"? ;-)
Such enumeration of versions is undesirable for example in my Gentoo Linux.
It is impossible to correctly compare such versions at package upgrade.
The examples of good version numbering:
1.4
1.4.2
1.4-r2 (2 - is a release of package)
200711
20071122
200711-r468 (468 - is a SVN revision)
20071122-r468 (468 - is a SVN revision)
r468

Can we come to the consensus with KiCad versioning?

My propositions of numbering:
200711
20071122
or maybe 2.0

P.S. This is not a criticism, but a requirement for some compatibility.

Hi Dick and Igor,

(Just my 2 cents.) I thought that tags were not meant to be changed at all as they represent a frozen release. In my understanding, I was expecting a tag (for the current release) and a branch for future bug fixes. The branch can be named kicad-2007-Nov or whatever but the tag should better be a number (friendlyness with most package managers). I'd personnaly vote for '20071122' as that's how past releases were done already.

Cheers,
David Bourgeois