Re: Orcad 2 Kicad conversion

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dick H." <dick@...> wrote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Charles McDowell
> <cmcdowell_home@> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to convert a Orcad schematic to Kicad. I am new to
the
> group, I sure
> > could use some help.
> >
> > I compiled the edif2kicad program and was able to try out the
> *e2schm.exe* utility that it produced.
> > However the problem I have is when I try to import the schematic
> into Kicad I get a bunch of errors
> > saying it can't find the library files. Obviously all the original
> library dependencies that the Orcad schematic
> > had are needed in separate files for Kicad. But I don't have these.
>
> Hopefully Frank Bennet will answer this item. This path is the more
> current path between the two you pursued. I had the same problem as
> you 18 months ago, before the edif2kicad was written and I could not
> find a current *decomp.exe on the net. I ended up thinking that it
> was for an older orcad anyway, probably an older orcad file format too.

Yes, I believe decomp.exe came from the vga/dos version of Orcad,
which I was one of the first customers and liked better than the
windog's version. Decomp converted the Orcad binary library format
into ASCII for humans to read, edit, add. It was a quick way to get
a symbol...left pin#, right pin#...

Did you download, compile the latest version of Edif2Kicad? The
first, old versions only produced a schematic, but the newer version
outputs *.sch, *.lib and a *.pro files.

The OrCad-EDIF files are from OrCad version 9 and 10, todate the
EDIF files I have seen are complete and contain the schematic with
libraries. You might look at your exported EDIF file and search for
the keyword "library". Note the schematic is also a "library" in the
EDIF file.

> In the near future they may be another path open for conversions and
> that is the "Specctra DSN" file format. It is a format used to pass a
> design to an auto-router for layout. Many EDA software packages
> support it. Can you generate such a file in your orcad? If so, it
> may be prudent for you to send that exported "specctra dsn" file to me
> as I am the one adding specctra dsn support to Kicad, and doing so
> currently.

Dick:
This will be great for OrCad version 10 option.
Does the spectra dsn format include schematic information?

Would not the process still be to enter or capture a schematic,
assign footprints, define board outline/keep out areas, place the
parts then export for auto-route?

The EDIF standard was also designed to handle layout but it didn't
seem to catch on in the PC/PCB part of the industry, and then only
a few such as OrCad even support EDIF for schematic in/out.

Sun is out, 38 degrees, I'm off to recoop my investment of shoveling
the tennis courts.

Frank