Re: Orcad 2 Kicad conversion

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Frank Bennett" <bennett78@...>
wrote:

> [...]
as
> > you 18 months ago, before the edif2kicad was written and I could
not
> > find a current *decomp.exe on the net. I ended up thinking that
it
> > was for an older orcad anyway, probably an older orcad file
format too.

> Yes, I believe decomp.exe came from the vga/dos version of Orcad,
> which I was one of the first customers and liked better than the
> windog's version. Decomp converted the Orcad binary library format
> into ASCII for humans to read, edit, add. It was a quick way to get
> a symbol...left pin#, right pin#...
>
> Did you download, compile the latest version of Edif2Kicad? The
> first, old versions only produced a schematic, but the newer version
> outputs *.sch, *.lib and a *.pro files.
>
> The OrCad-EDIF files are from OrCad version 9 and 10, todate the
> EDIF files I have seen are complete and contain the schematic with
> libraries. You might look at your exported EDIF file and search for
> the keyword "library". Note the schematic is also a "library" in the
> EDIF file.
>

> > In the near future they may be another path open for conversions
and
> > that is the "Specctra DSN" file format. It is a format used to
pass a
> > design to an auto-router for layout. Many EDA software packages
> > support it. Can you generate such a file in your orcad? If so,
it
> > may be prudent for you to send that exported "specctra dsn" file
to me
> > as I am the one adding specctra dsn support to Kicad, and doing so
> > currently.
>
> Dick:
> This will be great for OrCad version 10 option.
> Does the spectra dsn format include schematic information?
>
> Would not the process still be to enter or capture a schematic,
> assign footprints, define board outline/keep out areas, place the
> parts then export for auto-route?
>
> The EDIF standard was also designed to handle layout but it didn't
> seem to catch on in the PC/PCB part of the industry, and then only
> a few such as OrCad even support EDIF for schematic in/out.
>
> Sun is out, 38 degrees, I'm off to recoop my investment of shoveling
> the tennis courts.
>
> Frank
>

> > Dick
> >

> > > 1.) So how do I convert an Orcad library file [*.olb] to Kicad
> [*.lib]?
> > > 2.) Where can I find this program called *decomp.exe *that can
be
> > used with the Kicad orc2eeschema.exe? All the
> > > original suggested URLs suggested are no longer valid.
> > > 3.) Orcad allows me to export a library but in terms of a *.EXP
> > format. What can I do with this? How to save
> > > in *.SRC format?
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------
> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
Yahoo!
> > Search.

Frank,

Thanks for your help. I have identified the problem. It appears
your program will not work completely unless you run it from
either the commandline or create a batch script.

Example:
If you just try to drag and drop an EDIF file (example PS10.EDF)on
top of the e2sch.exe program (i.e your edif2kicad target)you only
get the schematic and the project file.

However, if you create a batch file with the following:
"e2sch.exe PS10.EDF". It works and you get all the files you
mentioned in your prior email. {.lib,.sch,.pro}.

Thanks for your help sounds like your program is the one to go with
I have not done anything with it but its doing what you said.

Also, I had one heck of a time getting the BISON program working
correctly. I would suggest also posting the C file that it creates.
Otherwise it will discourage many people from using your great
program.

Charles