Re: Re: XML import to pcbnew

There is definitely some advantage to using XML for design data like this. XML is however, only a syntactic envelope, and the grammar is up to the designer. As far as grammar is concerned, you have to be impressed with the thought given to the Specctra format, at least for PCB stuff (schematics not addressed here). If a system were to use an XML syntax to hold the specctra grammar, then this would be the best of both worlds.

I like XML because you can in theory use XSLT processors and you can easily write parsers in a large number of languages, including Java, Python, Perl, C++, etc. It is easily extensible.

I like the Specctra grammar because many folks developing competing PCB layout tools have already crossed the bridge to this format, and it tends to represent a common denominator on how to represent a PCB design, making it sort of a market standard on file interchange. One thing I don't see in it is text strings for stencils.

Frank, it would be interesting to see what your roadmap is for this project, a simple list of goals and objectives. Maybe others might want to help you.

Dick

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonas Diemer <diemer@...> wrote:

Cool.
But why is it a separate sf-project? Shouldn't it be in the KiCAD

code (being
an importer/converter specifically for KiCAD)?

EDIF2KiCad maybe just because of the name but I thought about this and the size of the KiCad distribution is already hugh. EDIF and XML are suspose to be standards for moving between CAE applications (XML4EDA was already taken, no files since 2001). I just began XML4PCB with EDIF/XML to KiCad as a starting place; but then except for GnuEda everything else is proprierty. A library
organizer, foot pad, part list organizer,editor with a neutral data
base would be another good candidate for a new, separate project! (I saw a reference to a NASA parts system based on XML)

Frank

Best regards