Re: Fileformats and library

Hi,

Am Montag 31 März 2008 23:27:17 schrieb Richard A Burton:
> > c) updates of the library
> >      -------------------------
> > * Really hard to notice, if the default libraries (which comes with
> > kicad) has any new device inside.
>
> Probably each symbol needs a version number (incremented for any
> non-trivial change), which is stored in the kicad file when it's used.
> That way if you load a kicad file that used old version of symbols
> (e.g. after an update to kicad that used included new symbols) you can
> be warned of the change.

How about including all symbols, footprints etc., which are used in a kicad
schematic/pcb in the kicad file itself? This way, you always have the correct
version of library components packaged with the document itself. This would
greatly simplify sharing of files and also removes the need of versioning of
library components.

This could be implemented by simply zipping the document together with all
used library components together during file save (assuming that we do split
the components in separate files). Of course, this sort of wastes some space,
but this shouldn't be that much, esp. when zipped. The components in the
document archive then would take precedence over the files in the library
directories.

Just a thought...

Best regards