Re: Bug 1918746: EESCHEMA File Format Versions

Am Donnerstag 03 April 2008 22:07:04 schrieb Dick Hollenbeck:
> Can you be more specific please.

Sure, I was probably unclear on this. Of course, we cannot go back and change
existing versions of eeschema. Also, I don't think that an export to an old
version is worth the effort, people can just upgrade.

All I wanted to suggest is doing a version check when opening a file and
issueing a warning/error if the user tries to open a file with a version
number other than the one of that specific eeschema version.
This way, _future_ file format changes confuse the user less.

E.g. for a file that is newer that the eeschema version, we'd issue something
like: "The file you are trying to open comes from a future version of KiCAD
and may not be loaded correctly. Please consider updating."

This should also be done the other way around, i.e. when we open a file of an
older version, we should get a warning like this: "You are opening a file
from an older version of KiCAD. When you save this file again, older versions
of KiCAD may not be able to read it anymore."

I assume that we will always take care that newer versions of KiCAD can open
older designs - if that is not the case, my proposal includes that as
well. :-)

I hope it is a bit clearer now (if not, please let me know).

Best regards
Jonas